Saturday 30 October 2010

Safety

One thing I've noticed is that there is a very important element in going to live somewhere new: safety. It is something primal to human beings, I believe: having a place to call 'home', where they can be safe, relax, stop worrying. It is more than just a room or even a whole house though: it's something intangible, a collection of small elements, the sum of which is greater than its parts.

For example, I just came from a bout of grocery shopping about an hour ago and as soon as I put the food in the cupboards and the fridge, I felt this sense of accomplishment and reassurance unlike anything I had ever felt before. I have food. Should I feel hungry, I can eat. I need not worry about going hungry anymore.

It is basic, simple, and yet primal. Something that touches the very pit of our being.

No comments:

Post a Comment